List of Staffing Terms
Statement of Merit Criteria (SOMC)
The SOMC usually includes ALL essential qualifications required. All essential qualifications including the competencies listed, will be assessed by the selection panel. You must clearly demonstrate in your application that you meet ALL these requirements or your application will not be further considered. These qualifications can often be organized into separate categories:
- Official Language requirements
- Minimum Education Requirements: The minimum level of education required to be screened into the selection process. You must demonstrate that you have attained this level of education on your application and you should be prepared to show proof that you meet this requirement.
- Essential Qualifications: Qualifications that are necessary for the work to be performed and that must be met in order for a person to be appointed (this includes, but not limited to language, experience, competencies, skills and knowledge).
- Security Clearance Requirements
- Asset Qualifications: Qualifications, other than official language requirements, that are not essential to perform the work, but that would benefit the organization or enhance the work to be performed currently or in the future.
- Conditions of Employment: Conditions that must be met for an individual to be appointed to the position, such as medical or security clearance, willingness to travel, or possession of a valid driver’s license.
Indeterminate (permanent) employment
Employment where there is no fixed duration, whether part-time, full-time or seasonal.
A person currently recognized as having full-time status by the academic institution, and/or be registered as a full time student at an accredited secondary or post-secondary educational institution. The student must be returning to full-time study the next scheduled academic term or otherwise be in the final work term assignment to complete academic program requirements.
A person who is hired for a fixed, predetermined duration on either a part-time or full-time basis.
A person employed to work less than the normal daily or weekly hours of work established for a full-time employee.
- Date modified: